Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions!

Everybody needs a passport to enter Mexico. Citizens from some countries might require an entry visa as well. If you are not sure please check with your travel agent and/or the Mexican Embassy in your country.

If you do not have a passport you should start the process as soon as possible, at least 8 to 10 weeks before your travel date.

When a minor is traveling alone, along with their passport, they must have a notarized letter signed by the parents or legal guardians giving them permission to travel. When a minor is traveling with one adult, provide a notarized letter signed by the parent or guardian not traveling giving them permission to travel with the other parent or guardian.

If the minor is in the custody of one parent, a notarized custody document should be provided. If one parent is deceased, provide the death certificate. It has been reported that minors do not need the above documents, only a valid passport, check with your airline to be sure.

You should make a copy of all your travel documents and keep them separate from the originals. This well help in event they are lost or stolen. It is also a very good idea to scan your passport and documents and either store them in “the cloud” or email them to yourself as well as a family member.

Passport(s), Visa (if required), Tourist Card (Immigration Form) which you will be given either at the airport check-in or on your flight. You will need one form for each member of your party and the customs declaration form – one per family. You should also bring your identification (i.e. driver’s licience), traveller’s insurance information (its a good idea to have it), emergency contacts, credit/debit cards, some cash, and of course your airline tickets.

When you reach the arrival terminal after landing in Cancun you will be guided to the immigration hall where you will form a line and wait for your turn with a Mexican Immigration officer. This officer will ask you for your passport, entry visa, if you are from a county which requires it, and your tourist card, which will be given to you aboard the plane. The immigration officer may ask you a few questions as of the purpose of your trip, how long you will be staying and if this is your first time in Mexico.

The “tourist card” is a form that the airline will give you at the counter when you check in or aboard the plane. It is one per person, meaning that each member of your party must have one with his/her individual information. Questions in this form include: Names, country of origin, passport number, where you staying in Mexico, arrival and departure dates and so forth. After the immigration officer has stamped this card you MUST KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND DO NOT LOSE IT. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THIS DOCUMENT WHEN YOU DEPART MEXICO.

This information can change at any time. If you have any questions we recommend you check with the nearest Mexican Consulate in your country.

Remember to make a copy of all your travel documents and keep them separate from the originals as well as scan your passport and documents before you leave and either store them in “the cloud” or email them to yourself.

The Mexican peso is the standard currency used in Mexico. The majority of businesses in Cancun, Isla Mujeres and the Riviera Maya will take US dollars or Mexico pesos. Foreign coins are of no value in Mexico and can even be considered offensive so please do not leave them as tips.

There are several banks on Isla Mujeres; Banamex, HSBC, CI Banco and Banco Azteca where you can exchange up to $300 usd per day. Their ATMs work with just about any ATM card. There will be international transaction fees so check with your bank and remember to alert them that you will be travelling in Mexico.

It is best to use the Banamex or CI Banco machines because they do not take your card all the way which prevents it from being “eaten”. Use common sense and always hide the pin number, etc when entering the number.

Traveler’s Checks

Traveller’s checks are generally not used anymore. You can check with your hotel to see if the will accept them but the banks will not accepts them,

Credit/Debit Cards

A lot of restaurants and hotels take Visa and MasterCard (American express and others are less popular). Credit card fraud can occur so if you can get by without using your credit card (except for your hotel) it is best. You should call your credit card company and your bank to alert them in advance of foreign travel. Give them your departure and return dates. Otherwise if you have a company with tight security, they may freeze your accounts for expected fraud when you try to use them in Mexico.

Visit Isla Mujeres Net for all the information you need for a perfect vacation!